Friday, August 3, 2018

[Product Review] Fauxmagerie Zengarry: Ale Aged Cheddar

Company: Fauxmagerie Zengarry
Product Type: Vegan Cheese - Ale Aged Cheddar flavour
Website: www.zengarry.com

Fauxmagerie Zengarry is a Canadian company that sells vegan cheese made from cashews. They have a few flavours, including Creamy Swiss and Aged Cumin. Their newest and seventh flavour is the Ale Aged Cheddar. The Ale Aged Cheddar is cultured with Beau's All Natural Brewery Lug Tread Ale. Which is awesome because Beau's is another Canadian company and I love supporting local businesses. I tried their original six flavours last year and loved them, so I was happy to review their newest one.

Note, I'm not a pro cook by any means. I only started cooking at the beginning of 2018 and I only do so once a week to meal prep. I like to guesstimate when I put my ingredients together. For this review, I wanted to see what it was like to cook with the cheddar. I decided to try their Mac N' Cheese recipe. The original recipe is vegan, but I made a non-vegan version (basically topped it off with bacon bits).

I ended up adding a bit too much macaroni. Therefore there was less cheese on the Mac N' Cheese. The taste wasn't as prevalent considering the ratio of cheese to macaroni. It definitely doesn't melt as easily as normal cheese. So it took quite of a bit of time to mix the cheddar into the macaroni.

I prefer the Ale Aged Cheddar as a spread. I like to put it on naan and have that for breakfast. There is definitely a kick to the taste which some people may or may not like. It would probably be delicious in a sandwich as well. I personally am a fan, but I'm a fan of all cheese products, vegan or not.

I would definitely recommend Fauxmagerie Zengarry, especially if you are looking to try new vegan products. The Ale Aged Cheddar can be a hit or miss depending on how strong you like your flavour (you should pass on it if you don't like strong cheeses).

No comments:

Post a Comment